University of Phoenix Faculty Development Chair, College of Humanities and Sciences in Washington, District Of Columbia
The Faculty Development Chair at the Washington, DC campus is accountable for the overall faculty management for the College of Humanities and Sciences, ensuring the quality and integrity of the college at the campus and Arlington learning center. The Chair promotes and supports a quality learning experience by ensuring an engaging classroom environment. This position is responsible for overall development, coaching, and management of faculty, as related to excellence in teaching and student retention. Encouraging and fostering a range of activities relevant to the faculty lifecycle, including engagement and evaluation of faculty in support of various College strategic initiatives, is key in this role.
Advises, coaches and mentors practitioner faculty/professional development facilitators on how to deliver course content/PD more effectively, with an emphasis on improving student/educator engagement, performance, and success. Support faculty in the development and delivery of high quality local, blended and online learning experiences to promote and accelerate the use of evidence-based pedagogies, next generation learning environments, and principles of effective design. Collaborate with faculty members regarding innovations in instructional methodology, including instructional technology.
Identifies opportunities in the faculty lifecycle to improve faculty engagement and support. Shares findings with college leadership and may partner with others to develop strategies around faculty lifecycle opportunities. Recognizes success, hard work, and growth in faculty through different methods. Makes a culture of recognition, appreciation and engagement a priority.
Evaluates and provides detailed feedback on faculty performance through the regular completion of Classroom Performance Reviews (CPR) and/or by overseeing the completion of CPRs by others.
Provide training services to faculty in the development of effective teaching and learning strategies for face-to-face, blended, and online learning environments. Identifies opportunities to support and enhance the development of faculty, including but not limited to, supporting efforts at demonstrating scholarship.
Investigates and addresses performance deficiencies and/or violations of the Faculty Handbook with appropriate remediation and coaching.
Identifies and leverages institutional best practices among faculty and makes recommendations for dissemination and distribution of teaching methods that support student success and enhance program quality. Coordinates and facilitates Community of Practice activities that foster faculties’ ability to connect teaching experience to professional success through networking with colleagues of shared interests and abilities.
Represents the College as appropriate in its relationship with the community by participating in targeted events, conference, meetings and workshops. This included developing and maintaining active linkage with agencies and educational institutions to promote relationships and articulation with the College programs.
Supervises activities of Lead Faculty Area Chairs, Campus Faculty Assessment Liaisons and Lead Faculty Instructors assigned to the College, including but not limited to, completion of contracts/service level agreements, quality CPRs, quality facilitation, etc.
Participates in and may lead task forces and committees to represent and address academic concerns to college management team and/or administration, as well as plan, implement, and coordinate campus and/or regional activities to maximize service quality effectiveness and efficiency. Conducts focus group research among faculties to identify curriculum weaknesses.
Maintain a professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing, professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies. This includes maintaining a general knowledge of emerging issues and trends related to the respective content areas and maintaining a record of research and scholarship.
Evaluate faculty metrics and other data to identify opportunities for professional development, training, mentorship, coaching, engagement, student learning outcomes etc.
Some travel may be required.
• Master’s degree in Humanities and Sciences required
• Three (3) years of experience in a progressively responsible capacity in an education or business environment directing processes, procedures, and activities, as well as participating in the development and implementation of goals, objectives and budgets
• Three (3) years of experience of demonstrated knowledge of adult education principles/practices, curriculum development, and academic content area
• Three (3) years of proven experience in teaching and/or administration at a regionally accredited college or University with adult education experience required
• Must remain a University of Phoenix faculty member in good standing
• Doctorate degree strongly preferred
• Background in Criminal Justice strongly preferred
• Proven experience in a supervisory or management role preferred
• Capable of thorough documentation and administration duties required to support faculty coaching and development
• High level of problem solving and decision-making abilities to respond to student and faculty issues and concerns
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills to communicate with faculty, students, employees and external parties as it relates to the management of the respective campus and college programs
• Ability to convey a professional image, as well as effectively represent the organization as appropriate in its relationship with the community
• High level of conceptual and strategic thinking to establish budget, goals, and processes, utilize data and activities in conjunction with University standards and guidelines
• Working knowledge of personal software packages to prepare correspondence, reports, as well as create, generate, and maintain spreadsheets
Company University of Phoenix
Job Family Academic Affairs
Virtual Eligible No
Requisition ID 2017-8666
Position Type Full-Time
Job Locations US-DC-Washington